ETYMOLOGICAL DICTIONARY OF MODERN GREEK
(2nd edition, 2011)
by George Babiniotis
The most comprehensive etymological dictionary of Modern Greek which actually depicts the history of Greek vocabulary. The essential etymological resource for the expert and the perfect book for the word lover.
- Over 35.000 entries
- Reliable and in-depth etymological information based on linguistic literature and textual sources
- Detailed discussion of word formation connected with the most important derivatives and compound.
- Equal attention paid to both form and meaning development of the words
- Fascinating and readable stories of interesting words, word families and remote cognates within Indo-European languages
- Historical notes about word coinages and corpus indications on the first occurrence of words
- Useful tables with loanwords and travelling (reborrowed) words, which focus on language contacts and influences
- Clear and explicit explanation of most spelling variants of Modern Greek
Format: Laminated hardcover
Size: 1.720 pages; 153 x 237mm